Whether you buy your dog’s food and treats one bag at a time or prefer to buy in bulk, storing it properly is key to keeping it fresh, nutritious and delicious for your furry family member.
How Long Does Unopened Dog Food Last?
You may be wondering how long you can keep and store dog food. Here’s what you need to know to store such as a pro and keep your pup safe.
Start with the Shelf Life
Of course you want your dog to eat nutritious food, which is why you should know how long we guarantee our products. Unopened bags of dry dog food have an one-year shelf life, while unopened cans and pouches of our wet dog food are good for two years from the day we make them.
Your dog’s food has an expiration date just like your meals does. That’s why we always make the “Best Before” dates on our packages easy to find and understand. For dry dog food and pouches of wet food, it’s on the back. For canned food, it’s on the bottom of the can and the date is clearly visible – there’s no “secret code” you have to crack. After that date has passed, though, swap out old foods for new, because we can’t guarantee its nutritional integrity anymore.
Store Food in Sealed Containers
Always store your dog’s dry food in an airtight metal, glass or plastic container. We prefer to keep food in the original bag, folded closed inside the bin because it helps protect food that has a fat barrier. Using an airtight container locks in freshness, keeps out pests and protects against food bandits like your hungry pooch or other pets. Keep your bin in a cool, dry place (under 85° F) and off the ground to help prevent mold.
Store opened cans of wet dog food in the fridge. The best way to keep them moist and stop odor from transferring to other food is to use a plastic pet food lid designed to fit the top of the can. If you don’t have one of those, you can use plastic wrap or a zip-seal bag, but those don’t trap odors as well as a lid.
How Long Is Dog Food Good after You Open a Package?
Once you put dry food in the bowl or open a can of wet food, how long can it stay out? Here’s what we recommend:
For Opened Dry Dog Food
- You can leave dry food in the bowl until your dog eats it all, as long as the bowl is in a cool, dry place that’s not in direct sunlight or located where insects or even vermin can reach it. We do recommend that you wash and refill the bowl every day.
For Opened Canned Dog Food
- If it’s 50° F or warmer, you can leave wet food in your dog’s bowl for up to four hours. After that, you should throw it away.
- Opened cans can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Unfortunately, freezing dry dog food and then thawing can cause mold to develop.
Can You Freeze Dry or Wet Dog Food?
After that, you should toss out any leftover food. DON’T freeze wet dog food betrigger it changes the taste and texture of the food and can reduce its nutritional value.
How Can I Tell If Dog Food Is Spoiled?
If your dog suddenly won’t eat or takes a few bites and walks away, they may be telling you something’s wrong with their food. Here’s how to tell:
- There’s a sour or rancid smell.
- The dry food is moist, moldy or has bugs in it.
- The food has been exposed to high heat or humidity.
- The bag is past its “Best Before” date.
- Your dog seems sick or uncomfortable after eating.
- There’s a change in your dog’s stool.
If you ever have any concerns about your dog’s food, don’t risk it. Toss out what’s left and replace it with a fresh bag.