Since Valentine’s Day is still a few weeks away, I splurged a little at the bakery supply store. When I bought a few new cookie cutters that I was eager to use, this Bits of Bacon Dog Treat Recipe sounded like the perfect dough to cut into. A little bacon is also the happiest thing for dogs! Oscar asked me to let you everyone know how much he enjoyed his XO cookies.
You can make 40 medium-sized cookies.
- 2.5 cups, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 12 cups of powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- wheat bran, one teaspoon
- 3 bacon pieces in crumbles
- 1 egg
- one cup of beef broth
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon until it is as crisp as you prefer, then let it cool. Cut into smaller pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, powdered milk, garlic powder, wheat bran, and bacon bits. Stir in the broth and egg. Mixing will produce a stiff dough.
- On a surface that has been lightly floured, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 to 1/2 inch before cutting out shapes with cookie cutters. Place the baking sheet on a flat surface.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. After the oven is shut off, the treats should rest for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool on cooling racks.
- To keep treats fresh, store them in the freezer or refrigerator.
Do you spoil your dog on Valentine’s Day in any special way? Will you make special treats filled with “love” for him or her? Use the space provided below to let us know what you have planned for Valentine’s Day.