Adapts Well To Apartment Living: ★★☆☆☆
Good For Novice Owners: ★★★☆☆
Sensitivity Level: ★★★★☆
Tolerates Being Alone: ★★☆☆☆
Tolerates Cold Weather: ★★★☆☆
Tolerates Hot Weather: ★★★☆☆
All-around friendliness: ★★★★☆
Affectionate With Family: ★★★★★
Dog Friendly: ★★★☆☆
Friendly Toward Strangers: ★★★☆☆
Health And Grooming Needs: ★★★☆☆
Amount Of Shedding: ★★★☆☆
Drooling Potential: ★★☆☆☆
Easy To Groom: ★★★★☆
General Health: ★★★☆☆
Potential For Weight Gain: ★★★☆☆
Easy To Train: ★★★☆☆
Potential For Mouthiness: ★★★☆☆
Prey Drive: ★★★★☆
Tendency To Bark Or Howl: ★★★★☆
Wanderlust Potential: ★★★☆☆
Exercise needs: ★★★★☆
Energy Level: ★★★★☆
Exercise Needs: ★★★★☆
Potential For Playfulness: ★★★★☆
List about Treeing Walker Coonhound
- Appearance: Streamlined, athletic body with a tri-color coat.
- Characteristics: Tenacious tracker with a powerful bark.
- Popularity: Renowned in the US, particularly among hunters.
- Temperament: Energetic, friendly, and occasionally stubborn.
- Lifespan: 12-13 years.
- Coat color: Mainly tri-color – black, white, and tan.
Is Treeing Walker Coonhound a mixed dog breed or an original dog breed? It’s an original dog breed.
How to take care of a Treeing Walker Coonhound
- Lean meats: Essential for protein and muscle maintenance.
- Vegetables: Provides necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Calcium-rich foods: For bone health and strength.
- Open spaces: For exercise and tracking simulation.
- Secure fencing: Given their prey drive, to avoid escapes.
- Comfortable resting spots: To recharge after active sessions.
- Take care method: Offer mental stimulation through scent games and puzzle toys.
- Grooming: Weekly brushing to remove loose fur. Bath every 6-8 weeks. Regular ear cleaning and nail trimming.
How to prepare for a Treeing Walker Coonhound’s life
- Recognize their active nature.
- Start training and socialization early.
- Always offer mental and physical stimulation.
- Care: Provide a balanced diet, engage in regular exercise, and offer enrichment toys.
- Essential equipment: Secure leash, tracking toys, and a spacious crate.
- Diseases: Hip dysplasia, ear infections, and certain eye conditions. Regular vet visits and proper grooming can mitigate risks.
- Vaccines: Rabies, Canine Distemper, and Parvovirus.
How to buy/adopt a Treeing Walker Coonhound
- Locations: Predominantly found in the Southern US.
- Price: Averages between $400-$600.
- Community: Active communities on Facebook, Instagram, and dedicated breed forums.
- Adoption checklist: Confirm vaccination status, understand lineage, and ensure overall health.
- Rescue groups: Treeing Walker Coonhound Rescue, American Coonhound Rescue, and Hound Rescue (UK).
Treeing Walker Coonhounds are a testament to American canine ingenuity. Melding an indomitable spirit with loyalty and affection, this breed captures the heart of many, whether in the field or at home.
How to stop a Treeing Walker Coonhound from biting?
Implement early bite inhibition training and use appropriate chew toys.
How to socialize and raise a friendly Treeing Walker Coonhound?
Introduce them to diverse situations, animals, and people from puppyhood.
How to train your Treeing Walker Coonhound?
Use positive reinforcement techniques and maintain consistency.
How frequently should we check a Treeing Walker Coonhound’s health with a vet?
Biannual check-ups are advised, with more frequent visits for seniors.
Are Treeing Walker Coonhounds good family pets?
Yes, with proper training and exercise, they can be loving companions.
Compatibility with children?
Generally good, but always supervise interactions.
Do they get along with other animals?
Usually, though early socialization helps.
Is a Treeing Walker Coonhound intelligent
Very, especially in scent tracking.
Active, friendly, and occasionally independent.
Types of Treeing Walker Coonhounds?
Primarily one recognized type.
Approximately 12-13 years.
Potential for allergies?
Moderate shedders, potential allergen concerns for sensitive individuals.
Are they aggressive?
Not typically, but they can be assertive when tracking.
They shed moderately.